You may have heard recently that Steve Jobs (of Apple) is talking publicly about how he received a 2nd chance on life thanks to the generosity of a liver donor. Thanks to this SELFLESS individual, and hundreds of others like him/her, people are able to receive a 2nd chance on life through organ/tissue donations… However, this can only happen if people TALK about it.
This isn’t spam — it is a personal plea from me… I’m trying to reach as many people as possible about this topic that is so near and dear to my heart. Believe me, when you have a family member who is the very, very lucky recipient of donated organs/tissue, it is better than ANY Christmas present you could ever receive. However, when you’re on the other side of the situation and have to make this kind of decision, it helps tremendously to have already had these conversations. TALK. NOW. PLEASE. And register.
You can’t take them with you to Heaven, so why not leave them here? Yep, you guessed it; I’m asking you to thoughtfully consider officially signing up to be an organ donor.
- “There is a critical shortage of organs, tissues and eyes available for donation. There are more than 96,000 patients in the United States awaiting transplantation—more than 7,000 are Texans.
- Every 13 minutes, a new name is added to the national transplant waiting list. Every day, 17 people die waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
- The Glenda Dawson Donate Life – Texas Registry is the official [Texas] state organ, tissue and eye donor registry.
- Historically, while signing a donor card and placing the “donor” sticker on your driver license served as an important symbol of your intent, it did not place you on any official list or registry.
- In 2005, Texas joined 40 other states in the country by creating its own state donor registry.
- Registering to become an organ, tissue and eye donor helps ensure your wishes will be carried out after you die.
- You have the power to donate life. Sign up today to become an organ, tissue and eye donor. Your generosity can save up to eight lives through and enhance another 50 through tissue donation.”
- (Information from https://www.donatelifetexas.org/TXDear_Secure/Facts.aspx)
If you’re a Texas resident, here’s the site: https://www.donatelifetexas.org/TXDear_Secure/DonorRegistration.aspx
If you live elsewhere, here’s the U.S. government’s site that can direct you to your state’s site:
I’ve already registered with the Texas Registry. They sent me a letter that I signed and had signed by two witnesses, then sent back in the pre-addressed, pre-paid envelope they included with the letter. I now have an organ donor card in my wallet and the state has me listed in their OFFICIAL system.
This isn’t a topic that is necessarily fun to talk about, but it is so important, and can give life and hope to so many others who need it…
Please share this organ donor registry information with as many people as you can. Together we can get these conversations started, and hopefully make a difference for many families.
I sincerely thank you.